- How does online software training work?
- Workshops are run using a combination of Slack, a video chat system such as Zoom or Cisco Webex, and various
collaboration tools. When you purchase a ticket for one of my workshops, you'll be invited to join a dedicated
channel on the Ursatile
Slack workspace. I'll use this channel to share links and answer any questions you have about the workshop
During the actual workshop module, I ask that everybody be prepared to switch on their camera and microphone,
and engage in discussion
with the rest of the group. Workshops are broken into short modules of classroom-style teaching, interspersed
group exercises, live coding sections and frequent breaks.
- How does online training compare to in-person workshops?
- It's not the same - but there are definitely some advantages to the online format. For starters, there's minimal
overheads - no venue hire,
no catering costs, no travel costs - so it's financially viable to run workshops even if only a few people sign
up. And for workshops with
a lot of hands-on coding, it often works much better when everybody's at their own desk, with their keyboard,
mouse, maybe even multiple screens.
- It's also much easier to study things like latency when you're sending API calls and messages across a continent
rather than just across a conference room!
- What video chat systems do you work with?
- I've taught remote workshops using Zoom, Cisco Webex, Microsoft Teams, Skype and Jitsi. If it's up to me, we'll
use Zoom, but I can
adapt my content and delivery to work with whatever system you'd prefer.
- Can I book a workshop for my team?
- Sure. Drop me an email - firstname.lastname@example.org - and
we can chat. This works three different ways
- Group Discounts:
If you're sending 3+ people on a workshop that's already scheduled? Get in touch and I'll send you a
code for a group booking.
- Customized Workshops:
If you want to send 6+ people on the same workshop,
I can arrange a workshop to suit your availability, and then sell any remaining tickets. You'll only pay
for the attendees you send.
- Private Workshops:
I run private workshops for up to 25 people - and adapt the schedule, structure
and content to suit your team and requirements.
- What if I need to cancel a workshop?
- If you cancel at least 7 days before the workshop date, you'll get a full refund (minus any booking fees).
- If you cancel with less than 7 days notice, you'll need to pay in full. For late cancellations,
you might be able to transfer your ticket to a different date - get in touch and I'm sure we can
figure something out.
- Do you produce videos of your workshops?
- No. At least, not yet. Every workshop and every group is different, and being able to tailor the material to
work with specific scenarios is a big part of the value of running live workshops.
- Who's behind Ursatile?
- The founder and director of Ursatile is Dylan Beattie (that's me!).