Computer graphics has revolutionized creative arts. From the earliest 3D games to the computer generated imagery (CGI) that’s become a staple of Hollywood blockbusters and Netflix boxed sets, technology allows artists, designers, and film-makers to take us on journeys into fantastic fictional worlds. But did you ever wonder how it actually works? How do we go from code, wireframes and algorithms, to photorealistic images and videos?
Introduction to ray tracing
- How does computer graphics actually work?
- What is ray tracing?
Graphics in a web browser
- Introducing the HTML canvas API
- Procedural graphics: patterns and textures
- ECMAScript modules: imports and exports
- Modelling 3D concepts with vectors
- Designing a 3D coordinate system
Rendering your first scene
- Tracing rays and object intersections
- Modelling colours and objects
Light, shade, and reflections
- Adding lighting to a scene
- Simulating realistic lighting effects
- Lighting models explained: what do ambient, diffuse, and specular mean?
- Modelling reflective surfaces
- Using recursion
Speeding up rendering
- Running your ray tracer in a web worker
- Managing web workers
Advanced 3D modelling
- Refraction and transparency
Target Audience and Prerequisites
console.log is for, and you can write some basic HTML, you should be able to pick up the rest as we go.
Attendees will need a code editor such as Visual Studio Code, and a modern web browser. Examples have all been tested with Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, Vivaldi, Brave, and Opera. Note that Firefox does not support worker modules, so the later examples will not work on Firefox.
About the Trainer
Dylan Beattie created his first web page in 1992. With nearly 25 years’ experience as a professional developer, he’s worked on everything from static websites to distributed microservice architectures. Dylan is a Microsoft MVP and the creator of the Rockstar esoteric programming language, and he’s presented talks about technology and software development at conferences and events all over the world.
Upcoming Course Dates
2534UAH / €75
All proceeds from this workshop will be donated to support Ukraine.BUY TICKET
If you'd like to run this workshop for your team or at your conference, please get in touch
Alternatively, join the mailing list to find out when new course dates are announced.